Take a Look at the New Shelters for Missoula’s Homeless
Missoula, MT (KGVO-AM News) - On January 5, 2023, the Temporary Safe Outdoor Space officially opened its brand-new hard-sided shelter facility in Missoula. The TSOS was originally located on private land near Buckhouse Bridge south of Missoula, but the site was relocated to County-owned land at Mullan and Broadway, near the Missoula County Detention Facility.
What is the TSOS?
According to Missoula County, the TSOS is a safe, healthy, secure, staffed (24/7) environment that serves individuals experiencing homelessness who are not accessing existing services or resources. The new site can house approximately 35 to 40 people at a time.
The TSOS is a partnership between Missoula County, HOPE Rescue Mission, and United Way of Missoula County. HOPE Rescue Mission staffs and operates the site, while United Way and Missoula County government provide logistical support.
According to United Way of Missoula County, the primary goal of the TSOS is to connect residents to the resources they need to obtain sustainable permanent housing. Since it opened at the end of 2020, the site has served 165 people and 51 have moved onto a permanent housing solution.
What Does the TSOS Provide?
Missoula County said the TSOS includes the following facilities and services:
- 30 hard-sided shelters manufactured by a company called Pallet
- Each 100-square-foot is equipped with beds, lockable doors, windows, electricity, heat in the winter, and air conditioning in the summer.
- Hard-sided bathrooms that are equipped with showers, as well as a trailer that serves as office space for staff.
- Outreach workers, onsite case management, and safety precautions
- Wellness screenings and links to hotels, housing, health care services, and recovery options
- Personal protective equipment (masks, gloves) and cleaning supplies
- Work-readiness programs (resume assistance, job search assistance guidance, and interview preparation)
Here is what the new shelters look like from the inside and out.