Missoula's urban deer population continues to be an issue that concerns many Missoulians, and it's not uncommon for deer to be hit by cars in city limits.

We published a guide on what to do if you hit a deer in city limits, but some new information has come out and we confirmed with Missoula County Communications Manager Allison Franz the new details.

But even before discussing what to do with a deceased deer, it's important to remember that if you do hit a deer in city limits and it's injured, you need to call 9-1-1, not Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. When we spoke with Kyle Miller, Game Warden Captain For Montana, Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Region 2 last spring, he confirmed that their offices are only open 8 a.m.- 5 p.m., meaning they aren't reliably available to assist in these situations. Communications Director for the City of Missoula Ginny Merriam also confirmed that if you hit a deer in city limits and it's injured, you should call 9-1-1.

Related: Hit a Deer in Missoula City Limits? Myths and Facts on What To Do

Here's What Has Changed

If you do hit a deer in Missoula and it is deceased, it used to be that Republic Services would remove the deer. That's no longer the case.

Franz confirmed that two private contractors will remove the deer for a fee:

  • Nature's Best Inc. 406-544-4754
  • Ibey Sprinklers and Landscape 406-721-5054

However, if you don't want to pay a fee, deer can still be disposed of in the landfill from 7:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m free of charge.

Franz also underscored that if the deer "is in the road and causing a safety hazard, people should call 9-1-1."

LOOK: 50 cozy towns to visit this winter

Stacker created a list of 50 cozy American towns to visit each winter. Towns were selected based on visitor opinions, ratings from nationwide publications, and tourist attractions.

Gallery Credit: Laura Ratliff

More From Z100 Classic Rock