Your ‘Un-Official’ Training Guide to Missoula’s 2023 Lard Butt 1K
Missoula's premiere event for fun for everyone is coming on Saturday July 22nd, 2023. The Lard Butt 1K is back and it is going to be at a brand new location this year, at the Fort Missoula Regional Park. There is so much to look forward to this year with the events, that will be held in Missoula and Seattle.
The Missoula Lard Butt 1K Run
If you are new to the Lard Butt 1K world, it is a 1 kilometer run/walk with donut stations located every 250 meters and a beer or non-alcoholic beverage. Last year they went through 3000 donuts, which may have been the biggest order a Missoula donut shop has ever seen. I have had the honor of being involved with this event in Missoula since the "Lard Butt Crew" decided to bring the event to town.
A Pet Friendly Event in Missoula
The event is all in good fun. For the people that are actual runners and who really try, you may hear a "boo" or "hiss". For the "Legends" category that are people over 250 pounds, they will hear the biggest cheers of all. There are other categories and a children's run too. Yes, this is a family event. Pets and costumes are encouraged. The event is also a fundraiser for the Poverello Center. Every "runner" is asked to bring two non-perishable food items for the shelter.
The 'Guide' to Fun at the Missoula Lard Butt 1K
With a short time before the event here are some tips to keep in mind before you "run" the race:
- Hydrate - It is a run in late July in Montana. Odds are good it will be downright hot on the day of the event. Even though the race isn't long, make sure you stay hydrated.
- Costumes - Costumes are very much encouraged. Capes are fun. Keep in mind the weather when you are planning your costumes, after all it is still a run and it will probably be warm.
- Pets - Pets are welcome. Make sure they are on a leash, the pets, not your friends.
- Stretch - Make sure you stretch and warm up for the event. The only "hammy" you want to pull would be a ham sandwich.
- Sunscreen - It will be outside in July in Montana, sunscreen should be a must.
- Shoes - Make sure you have comfortable athletic shoes for the run or walk.
- Socks - Socks are important. Compression socks will help if you are in the "Legend" category.
- Come with an appetite - Donuts are provided. Feel free to take more than one, no one will judge you.
- Have Fun - The event is intended to be fun for everyone. Enjoy yourself.
May This be the First Step to Fun
Even though the event is intended to be fun it can also have some positive outcomes too. It is an opportunity for people who maybe don't get as much exercise as they want, to have a chance to get some exercise in an open and welcoming environment.