Montana’s 2023 ‘Brawl Of The Wild’ Blood Battle Returns
The rivalry between the University of Montana and Montana State University is one of the best in the country. For those keeping score, the football rivalry goes back to November of 1897. As it stands now the University of Montana Grizzlies have 74 wins and Montana State University Bobcats have 42 wins. This rivalry goes deeper than any one sport and it can also help a lot of Montanans along the way.
The Blood Battle Will Help Montanans
The "Cat Griz Blood Battle" is being put on by the Montana Red Cross this November. The Red Cross is challenging all Griz and Bobcat fans to sign up and donate blood. For the record, last year, Bobcat fans donated 164 pints of blood, while Griz fans donated 100 pints of blood.
Montana Red Cross Needs Your Help and Donations
The American Red Cross has seen a decline in donations this past year and are need of some help with blood donations. I spoke with Keeley Van Middendorp from the American Red Cross about the need for donations. As Montana starts to head into the winter months the need for blood donations will only increase. According to Keeley:
We're really pushing this year. We've had a little bit of a lower sign up turn out so far. So we're really hoping to to fill those spots, especially this year. This season we're down about 25% in our donations. We are really hoping to get the word out and and get people signed up.
Here are the days and locations in both Bozeman and Missoula to sign up and donate.
- Nov. 6: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., University of Montana The James E. Todd Center, 32 Campus Drive.
- Nov. 7: 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., University of Montana The James E. Todd Center, 32 Campus Drive
- Nov. 9: 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., American Red Cross Donor Center, 2401 N. Reserve St. Ste. 6-7.
- Nov. 13: 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., Southgate Mall, 2901 Brooks St.
- Nov. 7: 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Montana State University Student Union Building, 751 W. Grant St.
- Nov. 8: 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Montana State University Student Union Building, 751 W. Grant St.
- Nov. 9: 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Air Force ROTC at the Center for Campus Ministry, 714 S. 8th Ave.
University of Montana fans can make an appointment by visiting RedCrossBlood.org and entering the sponsor code GRIZCATCHALLENGE or by calling 800-RED-CROSS (800-733-2767). Montana State fans can make an appointment by using the sponsor code CATGRIZCHALLENGE. You may also get a free t-shirt with your donation while they last.
There Are Other Ways The Montana Rivalry Helps The State
This isn't the only event that takes advantage of the rivalry and also helps Montanans. In November there are also two very important food drives. In Missoula there is the "Can The Cats" and in Bozeman there is the "Can The Griz" food drives. Montana food banks are seeing an increase in usage this year too. Get out there and support your team and help your neighbors and friends at the same time.
Every Montana/Montana State Player in the NFL For 2023
Gallery Credit: Will Gordon